Saturday, July 19, 2008

Joni

Just listening to one of my favourite albums Turbulent Indigo while it rains softly outside. Very nice way to spend a relaxing long-weekend Saturday evening.

I love Joni Mitchell - her voice, songwriting, sensibilities, strength and creativity. Not that I know her personally or anything, but what I do know I very much admire. And I have had one personal encounter which, if nothing else, confirmed that I would go ga ga if ever I had the chance to actually speak with her.

A few years ago, in Vancouver, some friends and I were out for drinks at Bacchus - a very popular piano bar on Hornby Street. Located in a boutique hotel, it often attracts celebs (e.g. Vicki Gabereau, Goldie and Kurt). On this evening, in walked Joni Mitchell with a friend and they were coming directly toward me. All I could manage to do was make some strange sound to indicate something was worthy of our attention. She walked toward, beside and then behind me enroute to her table. Which drove me nuts as I couldn't see her any longer. Until my friends suggested that I move seats as I was obviously in crisis. And so I did. And then as a good Canadian I pretended not to be gawking at her while she nibbled on her salad.

I was shocked at how much seeing her affected me. I'd never understood those crying, screaming, fainting fans before, but now I had some new insight into how we can't always predict our own reactions.

The best part though was just how much fun it was to be able to sit there in complete awe of a truly talented, iconic artist. And to realize how much it meant to me.

Note: I'm getting excited all over again just thinking about it!

4 comments:

Pheobe Kaatz said...

I loooooove Joni too. I hope she is a cat person.

Joni's music was used in the best-acted movie scene of all time... When Emma Thompson realized her husband was cheating on her in Love Actually. If they allowed cats to vote for Oscars, she would have an award.

PK

Mika Ryan said...

Finally, music we can agree on. This calls for another road trip!

Tom

Dil said...

Ooooh, a very good friend of mine (musical director of Albert Ballet) got to WORK WITH Joni on her latest music to ballet thingy that she did last year ( or was it 2 years ago?) . She is my idol and apparantly soooooo coool.....nice and so down to earth, she actually introduced herself to my friend's wife like she wouldn't know who she is!!!

Dil said...

Oh and my favorite song is "Case of You"