Saturday, June 20, 2009

I've loved you so long

I'd heard about this movie when reviewers were citing the incredible performance by Kristin Scott Thomas. She has always been impressive and I made a mental note to see it. I finally got the chance, and was wowed by the story and peformances of Thomas and the actor playing her sister, Elsa Zylberstein.

'I've loved you so long' (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime) is a beautifully written and directed portrayal of a woman just released from prison after 15 years. Juliette appears as a shell of herself, cautiously re-integrating into society and her own life. Thankfully, Lea, her younger sister has never forgotten nor given up on her, despite her horrible, heart-breaking crime.

The beauty of this story is the enduring love of a sister, the healing impact of this support and the ultimate re-emergence of a woman who'd been dealt a sorrowful choice to make. Thomas and Zylberstein are tremendous as they portray this reconnection after so long.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I've also always wanted to see it...you've inspired me to do it!