Thursday, March 27, 2008

Taking things in stride

I've been feeling very blessed over the past year as things really have fallen into place. It has been as if the universe was helping me along my path, encouraging and validating decisions. Have you ever had moments where you felt this sense of guidance?

Years ago, my friend Sandra and I were on a canoeing trip to Temagami and in the dusk at the end of a long day of paddling she walked off a cliff while searching for firewood. I saw her disappear over the ridge and ran, heart in throat, to see where she had landed. She had fallen about 8 feet or so and was completely fine. At the time she said it was as though a huge hand had cradled her descent downward, gently placing her on the ground below.

I've thought about this image many times since then and can honestly say I've had that sense on a few occasions as well. Driving in traffic and feeling the pull away from a wayward driver. Walking along the sidewalk with Maggy and feeling the need to stop suddenly - to be missed by another wayward driver. Or simply feeling the positive influence of something greater than me, assisting me on my way.

All that said, this past few weeks it hasn't felt as though things are falling into place at all. Instead challenges have arisen. These are the times when I've learned to put down my head and keep on going. And/or to simply observe what's going on to hopefully see the bigger perspective and lesson to be learned. Some glass-is-half-full-thinking and a bit of resilience may be all that's in order for right now.

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

It's true what they say, it's not the end destination, but the journey. And when your lucky, you stop and realize how wonderful it all is.

xo,

M

Margaret said...

Lately I've been thinking that unsettling times are just a way of reminding us to stop and take stock. No big deal, just a gentle reminder as we head full speed through life that we can change course, even slightly at anytime if need be. xo