Saturday, April 19, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

Thanks to the recommendation of my friend Mika, I've just started reading this best-selling book and am enjoying it immensely. As anyone who has gone through troubling relationship woes or personal transition knows, healing and growth often do take place in these stages. Physical, spiritual, emotional.

I've just finished the "Eat" section, in which author Elizabeth Gilbert nurses her physical and sensual self back to health in Italy, while savouring the language, food, wine and beauty that is everywhere. While Italy provides the ambience, it's the friends, food and fun that help Gilbert come out of the depths of depression that drove her on a year-long journey of self discovery. Her account is heartwarming and humourous as well as inspiring. And it reminds me to feel much gratitude for my own journey.

A few years ago, my first foray into getting over a difficult breakup included getting back in touch with myself. That's when I was joined in my home by a very good friend, Venetia, as roommate, who brought along her love of life, laughter, cooking and socializing and we often found ourselves that first summer sipping wine and enjoying the sunshine on our deck - as though we were on pertpetual vacation. This focus on fun and food and all things light was just what the doctor ordered. As well, Venetia's passion for nurturing the health and wellness of others was my introduction to many of the west coast's health-based and spiritual offerings including aromatherapy, yoga and massage. I also began working with a personal trainer, playing softball and practicing yoga - all which helped me to reconnect with myself, my intuition and my physical wellbeing. Something like what Gilbert's time in Italy accomplished for her.

I look forward to reading the next section entitled "Pray" where she embarks on a spiritual journey to India.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Love this book and knew you would enjoy it! Anthony Rippengale's wife was so inspired by it that last I heard she was heading to India for 3 month - to do yoga and meditation.