Monday, April 21, 2008

13 years of training... you'd never know it!

With the spring thaw, come the inevitable spoils of winter, everywhere that Maggy and I venture. Who knows what those wonderful smelling masses once were, but they sure are incredibly compelling. So much so, that the same 13 1/2 yr old golden retriever who appears to be 'slowing down' to observers, drags me relentlessly here, there and here again across the park with 75 pounds of sheer determination and stubborness. I've given up letting Maggy off leash for this juncture as she will spend her entire walk time scavenging and finding unmentionables to consume or in which to roll (yuck).

When 'heel,' 'leave it,' 'come,' 'now,' 'this way,' and 'no' once garnered the appropriate responses, not so much right now. This is not a new phenomenon in springtime, however the strength of conviction that still reigns is unexpected. When I find myself regularly paying attention to Maggy's breathing or gait or energy level and administering oodles of naturopathic concoctions, this burst of independence and strength is both a shock and a welcome surprise. Though some better manners would be nice too.

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

There is an island in Japan where people live longer than any other place on earth. They believe that we all have two childhoods, in our our youth and in our old age. Maggie is just enjoying being a kid again.

Dil said...

I think I know alot of people like Maggy (ok, maybe I'm the one like Maggy)....with the first sign of spring we(I)dust off our (my) running shoes, and with spring induced strength and energy I run around the block ( ok maybe halfway around the block), afterward feeling very spring chicken like I then hop on the bike and ride across town. The next day.....is there a chill in the air or am I just old again?