Monday, August 13, 2007

Day One

So, after 8 months of 'getting reacquainted' with Ontario, I've returned to work. Bit the bullet and am again wearing business attire (including footwear), arising at 6 am (yuck), and commuting downtown to the Toronto Public Library (!).

My first day was great - met lots of very nice people, had lunch with colleagues on a rooftop restaurant in the sun, and got the initial 'lay of the land' intro to our team, the organization and the inevitable politics that go along with any job (I've learned the hard way that it doesn't matter where you work, politics will be there...).

I'm really excited about the opportunity to join a community-oriented, socially responsible organization that provides amazing programs and resources to absolutely everyone. Children, youth, newcomers to Canada, seniors. Book clubs, literacy and ESL programs, universal access to info and knowledge and ideas, a tremendous collection, and extensive online services, for example.

Walking into the atrium today, I felt elated and somewhat in awe of this new opportunity. I'm excited and yet also feel it is meant to be. I couldn't have landed in a more perfect place and feel very grateful that I'm here.

No comments: