Sunday, August 19, 2007

Taking the long way...

Just saw the movie "Shut up and sing" about the Dixie Chicks. Loved it. I'm always impressed by indomitable spirit demonstrated through a challenging time. Also when people stick together and support each other. Plus I can't deny I wholeheartedly agree with their stance on George Bush and the war in Iraq.

I actually watched it last weekend just before starting my new job. The reason - it was something I had planned to do the night I resigned from my old job and then it didn't happen. It felt like a full-circle moment - the last piece of transition from there to here.

Yesterday, I bought the CD "Taking the long way" that was featured in the movie. I was completely enjoying playing it full volume as I drove around town in my new car - especially the kick-ass "Not ready to make nice." I'm now looking forward to the commute to TO tomorrow when I can listen to it again and get all fired up to start week 2!

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

I'm so happy to see that you are blogging again! I missed your wise thoughts on life. Reading between the lines, just wanted to say that this time, you are ready for the crossroads. Kick ass pansy girl!

Sarah said...

Totally agree about that film...I was semi-dragged to the Fifth to see it barely recognizing the Dixie Chicks and came away Natalie Maines' (sp?) biggest fan. Well, perhaps not quite that big. Some bloody idiot BC Teachers' Union staff chose to mark their pathetic sandwich-board strike uniforms with, "Not ready to make nice", in week 465 of their unsympathized strike outside my home. It is one thing for genunine Southern gals to espouse that catchy, empowering phrase, but slung on the back of a balding, slovenly, doughnut-romancing, 52-year old suburbanite, it becomes distinctly grotesque.