Sunday, May 11, 2008

Nice people

The city of Toronto has a bad rap in other parts of Canada. You often hear that residents of Toronto and even the rest of Ontario feel they're the centre of the universe. Or you'll hear that Torontonians are cold and unfriendly. I'm happy to say that really hasn't been my experience so far - as I've mentioned before. People are friendly on the subway, on the street, in most stores, in elevators, and in my neighbourhood.

This past week, while getting lunch right at Yonge and Eglinton, I found I only had my visa card which the small shop didn't accept. Just as I was standing in line deliberating how to make cash materialize out of nowhere, the young man next to me said he'd pay. At first I said, no that's ok, but he persisted. He was offering a random act of kindness to both me and the sandwich shop owner and both of us were quite appreciative. I asked for his business card so I could pay him back and he said, 'no, no, don't worry about it'. And so I said thanks very much and that I'd pay it forward. To which he replied 'exactly!'

When I told my friends at work what had happened it made their day - just as it had mine.

3 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

Very cool, something must be in the air, as Tom was also recently a victom of a random act of kindness. Kind of renews your faith in humanity.

Sarah said...

It's because this month is being aggressively marketed in Anglican churches as, "Jesus is Watching You Month".

Dil said...

Love it!!! Just telling the pay it forward stories pays it forward in a way, by just making us feel really good for a few minutes!! I hope people just do it, to do it, not because anyone is watching!!