Monday, May 19, 2008

Across the Universe

Finally got to see Across the Universe and loved it! Very creative and inspiring overall - especially for someone born in 1960 (too young to have experienced that time, but very much influenced by it).

As I watched the credits, I noticed that the director was Julie Taymor who also directed Frida (another favourite). I wasn't surprised to see this as both films are beautifully rendered. Incorporating art and effects in order to further communicate the essence of the story. And I wasn't surprised to see that Across the Universe was directed by an American woman born in 1952.

For many years, I was envious of those who were 5-10 years older than me and and who actually lived the love, peace and music of the 60s era. Funny enough though, in 1979, my first university room mate, Jan (also too young to have lived it), epitomized my ideal of the 60s persona. Long blond hair, sweet and pacifist personality, played the flute and guitar and was seemingly of an earlier time and philosophy. I'm not still in touch with Jan, but last I heard she was living in a cabin in the wilds of Alberta with her husband and son. Although I only knew her for 1st year before she went to another school, I will never forget her ethereal and loving presence.

Throughout my life I've been blessed to know several other like-minded souls who also seem to harken from that time of peaceful, values-based beliefs. Driven by their devotion for the earth, animals and humanity. Sandra, Debrah, Mika, Venetia, Yael, Kim. Of different ages and yet similar approaches. All in their unique ways. And all subsequent to the 60s - which makes me ponder what created that 'peace and love' momentum in that particular decade. Was it a unique culture or was it simply that there were more empathetic people living at that time (led, of course, by early boomers).

Regardless, my heart is still pulled back from time to time to what I grew up knowing as an idealistic and (mostly) peaceful, revolutionary period in our history. And with a soundtrack consisting almost entirely of songs by The Beatles, it's hard not to get all happily nostalgic while experiencing this wonderful film.

4 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

I also loved the movie and really appreciate the shout out. However, I would be remise if I didn't point out you could be writing your biography, as you have perfectly discribed you.

I often think about the whole right wing movement taking place across north america. Let's hope the children who are a product of this enviroment grow up and have the courage to question everything. If we don't have another revolution we are going to be in serious trouble.

Dil said...

I loved the movie too! I'm a huge fan of the genius Beatles and thought the movie so cleverly interweaved ( is that a word?) their songs with the characters and storyline. I too was born a little too late ('62) to be involved in the Peace and Love movement but remember a daily fantasy from the age of about 6 that involved me, a guitar, a Volkswagon van and Woodstock! I often wonder about the kids/teenagers of today....they're in the midst of a great opportunity ( That right wing movement Mika's talking about) and what are they doing/saying/thinking about it? Are we in for another Peace and Love movement? I sure hope so....Nathan's ( my son) learning guitar right now in preparation!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for leaving me off your lefty-friends list Dawn! What if I'm so naturally balanced that I don't require the presence, or interest in animal-souls, meditation or feng sui - hey? ;-) ANYWAY - Frieda was indeed a beautiful film. The speech given by a female friend at Freida and the fat husband's wedding gave me view on how I could maybe learn to like friend's weddings.

Must see 'Across the Universe'. The musician has been wanting to for some time now.

Oh and don't long too hard for being 15+ years older Dawn. That's the severe down side of this Child of the 60's notion you realize.

susan said...

I can totally relate to that "I want to be a hippie thing." In fact, I once drove my VW van with tie-die electronic acid curtains to the Haight Ashbury in San Fran while wearing my tie-die shirt, khaki pants and "rubber-tire" Jesus sandals. Favourite movie of the day - 1969 of course!

:)