Sunday, June 1, 2008

Windy city

When moving to Toronto, no one mentioned that it's windy about 90% of the time - at least it has been for the eight months Maggy and I have lived here. Generally we reserve the windy city title for Chicago or Winnipeg or perhaps some northern, coastal place. As it turns out though, in TO, even if it was a balmy, humid, hot day an hour ago, temps can drop and the wind picks up and jackets are still required.

This wouldn't be a big deal, except that Maggy's park and our home seem to be in the middle of a wind tunnel which I'm sure exacerbates the speed and force of the gales that can sometimes take my breath away.

We've had a few glimpses of spring/summer weather over the past while, but nothing has stuck. I may rue the day I said this, but I'm really looking forward to some sustained summer heat as I'm tired of feeling cold all the time. That said, I suppose the longer we wait to turn on the a/c is much better for the environment, so I will hold that thought as Maggy and I go out for a stroll keeping the 'wind at our back and the sun on our face'.

2 comments:

Dil said...

I Know!!!! Maybe it's a global thing. Just yesterday I was mentioning to the kids how windy it's been lately. Here in Edmonton we too have been experiencing those days where you look out the window at the bright sun and say " Oh good, summer's finally here" , only to step outside and have a microdermabrasion session on your face from the wind whipping dust, dirt and sand around! Enough already!

Mika Ryan said...

Wow, this is getting freaky. In Vancouver it's down right cold. Enough already - maybe it's time for us to do a sun dance.