Monday, September 3, 2007

Yonge and Bloor

More than a year ago, I was staying at a hotel in the heart of Toronto at Yonge and Bloor. I was still living in Vancouver and was visiting on business. During those few days in the city I looked around closely, then closed my eyes and listened inwardly for the answer to the question "could I live here?" I received resounding intuitive confirmation that "yes I could live here, happily!".

During that visit I began letting my close friends and family know that Maggy and I would indeed be moving back to Ontario, to Toronto, to be close to them and to build a new life there - within the next year.

That was in May 2006. In December 2006 Maggy and I made our journey home. In August 2007, I found myself wandering those exact streets as I headed to my new job at - you guessed it Yonge and Bloor!

This weekend I stayed at the same hotel, this time exploring the nearby neighbourhoods to see where I would feel most comfortable living - at least for the next year or two until Maggy and I have found our feet.

Again, I felt the need to connect with the environment - to actually feel and live and breathe it - before I could start my official search for a place to live. I found myself excited and invigorated as there is so much energy here. The ROM and University of Toronto are just down Bloor, Queen's Park is nearby, Yorkville is right there, the Village is several blocks south, restaurants and theatres and interesting shops are everywhere. I even discovered a natural health store where the aromatherapy scents smelled oh so much like Vancouver! And believe it or not there are wonderful residential enclaves all around.

It was clarifying for me as now when I look at a map, the locations have meaning. Although I still have a lot to explore, I am ready to move forward with the next step of finding that new downtown home. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

susan said...

Hey there,

I love this post! Finding a place to live is so much about your initial feelings and comfort level.

Thrilled to hear that life is finding you well. Any plans for a visit out west?